Freelancing continues to grow in popularity in the UK, with record numbers of people self-employed.
Working with others
- GOV.UK: Set up a business outlines and describes alternative business structures for those planning to take on staff or work in a partnership.
- Social Enterprise UK: Start up guide describes how social enterprises are not legal structures, but businesses that aim to support a community or segment of society.
Writing a business plan might not sound like the most exciting activity, but there are many benefits. Plans not only help turn dreams of running a business into reality, but make things clearer - they help you understand the market you are entering and make sure the numbers add up to check if your business can be profitable. Many banks and funding bodies insist on business plans before offering cash or help.
Funding your business
Free money is hard to come by but there are schemes and organisations happy to offer grants or loans - with various conditions.
- Start Up Donut: Start up funding provides a summary of funding alternatives for new businesses.
- Start Up Donut: Finance your start-up business has a step by step guide that takes you through all the key considerations.
- GOV.UK: Finance and support for your business is a search engine for grants, loans and other support.
- Start Ups: Small business grants
Crowdfunding has emerged as a strong alternative to get members of the public to buy into projects and start-up businesses that may not easily access funding through traditional ways. People can invest as much or little as they want in exchange for various benefits.
It may not be suitable to run your business from home. You'll have many things to consider when thinking about studio space - costs, benefits, facilities and location.
A common work pattern for people in the creative industries is to have more than one job. This has become known as 'portfolio working'. Some do it by necessity - they need a stable job while, for example, building up their freelance work; while others enjoy the versatility and variety of multiple jobs.