Medical or Mental Health Emergency

If you require an Ambulance, the Fire Service or Police call the free telephone number 999 and state:

> Which service you require.

> What has happened.

> Where you are.

Medical emergency

If you require immediate emergency medical treatment you should go to the nearest accident and emergency hospital (A&E). A&E is open 24 hours and operates a walk-in service (no need to make an appointment).

If you suspect someone has meningitis check their symptoms on the NHS: Meningitis Symptoms website and take them immediately to the nearest A&E for treatment.

If you have an illness that is not life threatening, contact your GP surgery first if possible. You can still call your GP outside normal surgery hours, but you will usually be directed to an out-of-hours service.

You can also call NHS 111, which can give you advice or direct you to the best local service to treat your injury.  

Less severe injuries such as sprains and strain, broken bones, wound infections, minor burns and scalds, minor head injuries, insect and animal bites, minor eye injuries and injuries to the back, shoulder and chest can also be treated in urgent care centres or minor injuries units (MIUs).

Mental health emergency

  • What is a mental health emergency?

    A mental health emergency is where there is a danger or risk to life that is current or imminent. This may be someone who is:

    • at risk of suicide or actively suicidal
    • at risk of or is endangering the safety of themselves, someone else or others
    • disoriented, expressing irrational thoughts and behaviours (for example: delusions, hallucinations, hearing voices, extreme suspiciousness, paranoia)
    • mentally unwell, behaving in extreme or bizarre ways (for example: severely agitated, threatening violence), or
    • stopping functioning and unable to comunicate with anyone
  • What do I do in an emergency?

    In an emergency you need to act quickly. If you believe a person is in crisis and the situation is a mental health emergency, call 999 immediately (ambulance and/or police) and tell them clearly who is at risk.

    In a psychological emergency, where there is imminent risk, do not accompany the person to hospital.

    If the person at risk to themselves or others is already engaged with mental health services and is receiving support from the community mental health team or other support services, they may, if they are well enough/able to do so, also contact their local support team:

     If the person is not already engaged with mental health services, they can still access the following support:

    • NHS Mental Health Service helplines (24/7):
      • Kent: +44 (0)800 783 9111. Under 18s- 0800 011 3474 (option 1, then option 3)
      • Surrey: +44 (0)800 915 4644
    • The Samaritans (24/7): 116 123 or email
    • Text Shout to 85258 (24/7)
    • Childline (for young people aged 18 and under): +44 (0)800 1111
    • During surgery open hours, you can also call your GP and ask for an emergency appointment.
    • Call NHS 111 or 999 if in a life-threatening situation, or visit your local Hospital A&E services.
  • Mental health resources

    If you require general information about mental health, our mental health resources webpage contains links to helpful external organisations, as well as lots of other useful resources.

A&E and Medical Centres

Find your local A&E, Minor Injuries Unit, Urgent Care Centre or Walk-in Centre.

Accident & Emergency (A&E)

William Harvey Hospital (Ashford)
Kennington Road
TN24 0LZ
Tel: +44 (0)1233 633 331

Minor Injuries (MIU), Urgent Care & Walk-in Centre

Kent and Canterbury Hospital
Ethelbert Road
Tel: +44 (0)1227 766 877

Accident & Emergency (A&E)

Epsom Hospital
Dorking Road
KT18 7EG
Tel: +44 (0)1372 735 735

Minor Injuries (MIU), Urgent Care & Walk-in Centre

Gosbury Hill Health Centre
Orchard Gardens
Tel: +44 (0)2089 741 884

Accident & Emergency (A&E)

Frimley Park Hospital
Portsmouth Road
GU16 7UJ
Tel: +44 (0)1276 604 604

Minor Injuries (MIU), Urgent Care & Walk-in Centre

Haslemere Hospital
Church Lane
GU27 2BJ
Tel: +44 (0)1483 782 334

Where to find your local doctor

Use our local information guides to find your nearest doctor.

Being registered with a doctor is the only way to receive free access to the NHS and non-emergency care.

It's essential that you register with a doctor (GP) locally. Don't leave it until you are ill. It's really important to do this as soon as possible when you start at UCA, especially if you have an ongoing physical or mental health condition.

If you qualify, you can apply for help with health costs such as prescriptions and dental care. Find out more information at NHS: Help with health costs.